Apart from being healthy and fat-free, coconut water is also a refreshing drink that aids in keeping the body hydrated by replenishing the natural salts that we lose every time we perspire. The drink is also widely known for its versatility and unconditional nutritional benefits, particularly for pregnant women and here’s why.
- It Improves the Kidney Functions. Apart from helping in quenching one’s thirst, coconut water simply acts as a diuretic, which aids in increasing urine production due to its magnesium, mineral and potassium contents. All of which are vital to pregnancy. The drink also increases the flow of urine to keep the urinary tract clean, which aids in maintaining the health of the kidney, and preventing kidney and urinary tract infections from occurring.
- It Aids in Combatting Dehydration and Exhaustion. Not only does coconut water replenishes the lost electrolytes, it also aids in fighting off the exhaustion and dehydration that most pregnant women experiences. Aside from that, coconut water is also an ideal drink for treating diarrhoea since it refuels the body with essential nutrients. Being properly hydrated is what increases skin elasticity and reduces the chances of stretch marks from occurring.
- It Provides Essential Electrolytes. What makes this drink the best option for pregnant women is that it supplies the body with the essential electrolytes that the body usually loses through diarrhoea, severe vomiting and strenuous exercise. Coconut water contains nutrients like calcium, phosphorus and potassium, which carries the electrical charge throughout the body.
- It Prevents Constipation and Heartburn. Drinking coconut water is one of the best and simplest ways that you can help you in improving your metabolism and detoxifying your body. Simply drinking it is also enough to improve your digestion, strengthen your digestive system, prevent constipation, and maintain your pH levels. Since it’s a natural acid neutralizer, coconut water also aids in preventing and soothing heartburn during pregnancy.
- It Helps Fight Infections. Aside from electrolytes, coconut water is also rich in antioxidants, essential minerals and vitamins that helps in boosting the immune system, thus protecting the mother and child from any form of diseases. The drink is also rich in lauric acid that’s responsible for producing a disease-fighting acid known as “monolaurin” that combats diseases like HIV and flu.
- It Promotes Weight Loss. Unlike the other drinks, coconut water is free of cholesterol, which aids in increasing the good cholesterols in the body while slowly eradicating the bad ones. So ditch your go-to sugar-sweetened drinks now and get your hands on this awesome replacement to ensure that you’ll maintain a healthy body for you and your child.
Even if it’s rich in nutrients, moderation is still essential when drinking coconut water. Just make sure that you pick and drink fresh coconuts so that you’ll really get the most out of the drink.